The foundation of your home is what keeps the place together. If the foundation or footings are exposed to water, they can get severely damaged and wreck the structure of your home while causing health problems for the home’s residents.
Most modern buildings get waterproofed before anyone moves in; however, some old homes might have skipped the waterproofing process. Along with old age, the lack of waterproofing may cause structural problems in some homes. These issues can occur because the life of a home heavily relies on its architectural form, which needs to be strong for maximum protection.
What is Waterproofing?
Waterproofing is the procedure that protects an area from water damage or makes it water-resistant. The method prevents water from invading your house and keeps it dry by reducing humidity inside the home, leading to lower moisture levels.
If you want to understand how waterproofing works, contact excavation contractors in Toronto who can walk you through the process and address all your concerns.
Why Should You Waterproof Your Basement?
Your home may require basement waterproofing due to several reasons. First, if your walls have moisture trapped that could cause damage, it can be harmful to your entire home.
If there is a storm or similar natural disaster, the water may get into your home and leave a profound impact. In some cases, sewage backflow may also flood your basement. Waterproofing can improve current foundation problems and also prevent future damage if taken care of at the right time.
Since basement waterproofing can be expensive, you can apply for a cashback on a portion of your protection efforts and get waterproofing rebates in Toronto on certain services. Homeowners need to meet the city’s criteria and be eligible for these rebates, consisting of certain conditions. For example, you have to be the registered owner of the house, and the contractor must have a valid license with the city to perform the services. Speaking to a contractor will allow you to understand the terms and conditions further to receive the subsidy.
What Are the Signs of Water Damage?
Sometimes, your house might be in danger of water damage, but you may not be aware of it. So here are some things to keep an eye on.
- Cracks in foundation– If you see any gaps in the wall or floor, your foundation might have become weaker due to pressure on your home’s structure.
- Mould and mildew growth – These are living organisms that can grow in wallets, furniture, and many other places, causing moisture. These growths may cause leaks, which will alarm you regarding the issue. Exposure to moulds can result in health risksfor many individuals.
- Damp spots– If an area on your wall gets visibly discoloured, the site may have been exposed to moisture, providing evidence of water leakage.
- Peeling paint– Paint may feel off from walls on old. However, if the colour is recent and is not sticking to the wall, it means that the surface is damp, potentially from moisture.
- Mouldy odour– Although it may be tough to know which smell means water damage, a musty, stale, or odd smell may be a detector of damage.
What Are the Benefits of Waterproofing?
Waterproofing your basement can be beneficial for your home in different ways. Here are some perks of getting the job done.
- Reduces health risks– Without waterproofing, your home might experience water damage, reducing air quality due to indoor air pollutants. Bad air quality can cause both short and long-term effects on health, leaving all house members at risk. However, waterproofing your house can improve indoor air quality and take away that tension.
- Improves structural integrity – Waterproofing stops water seepage and reduces the chances of damage to your home’s foundation while adding strength to it. Since waterproofing seals any cracks that may exist, the coatings will make the walls more substantial and less prone to damage.
- Prevents unexpected costs – You might have heard the phrase “better safe than sorry.” It certainly applies here because lack of waterproofing may cause extreme damage to your home during water damage. Taking preventive measures beforehand will reduce sudden, unplanned costs in the future.
- Increases home value– One of the benefits of waterproofing is achieving a finished basement, which increases the value of your home. So, you will make a higher profit if you decide to sell it in the future.
- Adds extra space– Finishing the basement provides additional space for you to utilize. You can turn it into a different apartment, gym or even rent it out to gain an extra source of income. People may even be willing to pay a higher rent than you expected after seeing a freshly renovated basement.
- Easier to maintain –Since waterproofing will keep your basement dry, you will not have to work extra hard to ensure that its moisture levels are in check. You will have peace of mind knowing that the chances of water damage are much lower now.
How Can You Proceed with Waterproofing?
If you decide to waterproof your basement, you can easily find Toronto basement waterproofing services to ease your mind. Professionals can inspect your home and detect if there has already been any damage in the basement.
Even if there is no damage and you want to take a preventive measure, contacting industry professionals is an excellent choice to get an idea of the costs. You may also need to create a renovation plan before you proceed with the process.
What Should You Do After the Renovation?
Once you go through the process of waterproofing your basement, you can enjoy it in many ways.
- Use the space as a playroom for the kids and their friends.
- Turn it into an extra apartment for guests.
- Create a home gymand enjoy the perks of working out without having to leave your house.
- Build a bigger closet to fit all those impulse purchases.
- Rent it out for an additional source of income.
- Enjoy a theatre experience by adding a projector and comfortable furniture.
Whatever you decide to do with space, your mind can rest assured that it will be a safe and healthy environment, free of any water damage!