One of the most common issues Toronto homeowners face in the winter is frozen pipes. The Canadian winter this year is particularly harsh, so it’s best to take steps to prevent your pipes from freezing.
When the temperature drops below freezing, having your pipes freeze can be a major problem. It can take a professional days to come and fix your water, which can be very inconvenient. It’s best to ensure you thaw your pipes promptly and safely to avoid having to call an excavation contractor to dig up and repair your ruptured plumbing.
How do you make sure your pipes stay clear all winter? It’s important to stay informed about how to handle your pipes in the winter, and as a professional excavation contractor, NTL Contracting is here to help. Here are the three main things you need to remember about your plumbing.
1. How to Spot a Frozen Pipe
Most of the warning signs that your pipes may have frozen are pretty easy to spot. Your excavation contractor suggests you be on the lookout for:
- It’s been cold. If the weather has been cold outside, your pipes may be at risk of freezing.
- Water not flowing, or flowing at a reduced rate. If your water isn’t running, chances are there is a blockage in a pipe somewhere. This usually results from freezing.
- Smells. Frozen pipes contain blockages, which force the air from the pipe back out of your drain or faucet. A strange smell coming from your faucet is a sure sign of freezing or blockage in your pipes.
- Frosty coating. If you can see frost on the pipe, there’s a good chance it’s frozen.
2. What to Do About Your Frozen Pipes
Depending on where the blockage in your frozen pipe is, you might be able to solve your problem yourself. In some cases, though, you will need the help of a professional excavation contractor to find the problem underground.
If the blockage is out in the open, the easiest way to clear it is to simply heat the pipe by applying heat directly. Dip rags in hot water and touch them to the pipe to heat it. You should avoid using heavy duty equipment such as blowtorches, as this can be a fire hazard.
If you can’t find your blockage, or can’t easily access it, it’s time to call a professional to help you with your frozen pipes.
3. Why It’s Important to Deal with Frozen Pipes Fast
Left alone, frozen pipes can cause serious damage. Frozen pipes have a tendency to burst. Not only is this expensive to repair, but it can cause flooding that will lead to damage to the rest of your property. The safest option is to have a professional excavation contractor clear your frozen pipe fast.
Waterproofing & Excavation Contractor | NTL Contracting | Toronto, GTA
If you’re looking for an accredited and experienced excavation contractor to help you with your Toronto home, look no further than NTL Contracting.
At NTL Contracting, we’ve been serving Toronto and the GTA with top-notch excavation and waterproofing services for over 25 years.
We pride ourselves on our customer satisfaction rating, and our goal is to make sure each of our customers are fully satisfied with our work. All of our work is fully insured. We offer free quotes, so why not contact us today to learn more?
- Frozen pipes are a serious problem for Toronto homes in cold winters.
- While it’s sometimes possible to clear your frozen pipes yourself, usually you need the help of a professional.
- NTL Contracting is the best choice when you want an experienced excavation contractor with the skills needed to keep your home in perfect order.