With the cost of homes on the rise in many parts of Canada, many homeowners are opting to renovate their current locations rather than buy a larger home elsewhere. One efficient way to boost your home’s volume is through a basement renovation.
Older homes have basements that are unsuitable for living, featuring small sizes and exposed ceiling ducts. By lowering the floor of your basement, you effectively gain storage or living space at a relatively low cost. It’s not a fast job, but it’s worth considering if you want to make your home more comfortable for a growing family.
Basement underpinning companies often cite the differences between underpinning and benching, two of the methods for lowering a basement floor. Let’s discuss the differences between them and whether you should choose one over the other.
Underpinning involves installing underpins to support the structure of the basement while the contractor digs out the floor underneath and pours in new concrete. This process will strengthen the structural integrity of your home, as excavators have a chance to repair any cracks in your current foundation.
While underpinning can increase your basement’s height by a couple of feet, it sometimes requires licensing agreements with your neighbors if you happen to share walls underground.
Some basement underpinning companies also offer the option of benching the basement.
Also known as bench-footing, benching is a somewhat different method than underpinning. It does not involve going below the foundation; instead, the contractor places footings around the existing walls (known as a “bench”).
Bench-footing is safer since there is no need to dig beneath the floor or modify the existing walls. It’s also less expensive than underpinning and costs less to perform. Many homeowners even find the result more visually pleasing.
However, bench-footing often results in less usable square footage since the bench takes up space that could otherwise be storage or living.
Which One Is Right for Me?
Deciding on an option comes down to several factors:
• What are your needs? Are you trying to improve the looks of your basement or raise the square footage?
• What purposes will you be using your basement for?
• How much are you willing to invest?
• How much risk are you comfortable with?
• How much do you value aesthetic appeal?
• What type of ground is your house built on?
Basement Underpinning Company | NTL Contracting | Toronto & the GTA
To help you decide, we recommend consulting with the experts. NTL Contracting has staff experienced in excavation, waterproofing, and demolition. If you have an upcoming project, let one of Toronto’s leading basement underpinning companies provide craftsmanship according to your high standards and determine a price in line with your budget.
If your home is near Toronto or the GTA, there’s no better time than now to start your next project. Join our list of satisfied clients and see why we earned the “Best of TrustedPros” award for several years in a row by contacting us today.
• Increasing the living space of your basement is a popular way to customize your home to your lifestyle without spending too much on a new house. Basement underpinning companies can help.
• Two similar processes known as underpinning and benching will do the job, but choosing one comes down to your individual preferences and needs. Benching tends to look better and come with fewer risks, while underpinning is more efficient at increasing living space.
• Get in touch with NTL Contracting to find out what solution is best for you. Our staff is ready to provide professional service you can’t find anywhere else in Toronto and the GTA.